Sunday, July 15, 2012

Water Bead Play

This may be the last blog for a few days.  Harper and I are going out of town with Gigi and Papa (my parents) tomorrow for a few days...poor daddy has to stay home and work!  BOO!  However, I cannot express to you how extremely excited I am that we get to go!  I hope to have lots of first experiences with Harper this week...with lots of pics! 

For now, I want to ask if you seen posts about water beads??  I have seen them EVERYWHERE!  Facebook posts, blogs, Pinterest, everywhere; and they looked like THE COOLEST things I have seen since legos were invented!  HA!  If you have absolutely no clue what im talking about, let me fill you in so you can join in on my amusement.  These are little gems that look like marbles but are soft and squishy.  They are generally put in flower arangements as they soak up water and then when needed, supposedly, they then release the water!  They come in all sorts of colors!

I have also seen on the same posts, blogs, and pins people asking where to get them!  I was just like these people....WHERE DO I BUY THEM?!  However, none of these posts, blogs, or pins answered the ever daunting question. 

So, I Googled (duh!)!  And found NUMEROUS websites to order them...except, you had to order them BY THE POUND!  Really?! I didn't want THAT many...just enough to play with and see what kind of hit they were with my monkey!

I decided to go into Michaels' this week in search of the ever aluring "water beads". And I am proud to say that after some quick guidance from a Floral Dept. employee...I found them!!  (High Fives!)


I will also give you a little better pic of the actual water beads...


You can buy them dehydrated...these come in a smaller pack (although im not sure after hydrating them how many you would have) for about $2.99/a pack.  The dehydrated ones look like little seeds and you simply follow the package instructions and soak them in water to get them looking like these.  I decided that Harper wasn't going to be concerned with them going from dehydrated looking seeds to plump looking marbles (but I think older kids might enjoy this!), so I went ahead and got these for $4.99 for the jar.  Simply open and play!!  They really feel like jelly eyeballs!  Just so you know what the inside is like...you know your dying to konw!  I broke one open for you...which really isn't hard, but, at the same time Harper never did it (well until they got thrown everywhere and he stepped on them!)!


I dumped the entire jar into Harper's clear tote (which I filled about half way full with water)...next time I will only use 1/2 of the jar because, after play was completed I retrieved the rest of them out of the tote/water and had close to 1/2 jar I can use again.  I just think only using 1/2 jar would eliminate this step of clean up.


Now, we obviously do all these type things outside.  I also added a few "beach/sand" toys... (Sorry for my shadow!)


It took a little coaxing, look how neat these things are...


After a few mins of trial and error, he was full blown into them!




Eventually, the water beads were being THROWN everywhere and accompanied with a "WEE" and a "YAY"!  But it's ok, that is exactly why we do these things OUTSIDE...easy clean up!!


I think he was trying to decorate the grass actually!

I would say over all a MAJOR hit...and we will definitely be investing in more of these!!!


HAPPY 'MOMMYING' :)


No comments:

Post a Comment