Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Loaded Potato Soup

UGH! Another day in the bed!  The flu, is kicking this mommy's behind!  Im getting tired of being in bed!  And my neighbors are tired of seeing me walk Molly in my full on PJs and robe! 

The one upside of being in bed all day: Lots of Food Network!!!  Downside to lots of food network: makes me wanna get up and fry some chicken!! But then, I step out of bed and I realize the kitchen is NOT where I need to be, so back to bed I go! 

I mentioned in my earlier post that I would post my recipe for Loaded Potato Soup.  So, here you go!  Its so stinkin' yummo!  I used to serve it with homemade wings, but it is just dandy on its own also! 

A few of my tips: I use red potatoes in my potato soup; however, I use red potatoes in EVERYTHING I cook that calls for potatoes!  You will only use 2 pieces of bacon in the actual soup and the rest of the package to make homemade bacon bits, so if you don't desire to make your own bacon bits (I highly recommend you do!) you won't need the entire pound of bacon. Again, I only keep unsalted butter on hand (because its better when baking). I also buy the boxes of chicken broth (as opposed to cans).  Also, little trick for drying fried anything, use brown paper bags from the grocery store, this saves money by not using paper towels.

 
LOADED POTATO SOUP
 
-7.5 lbs Red Potatoes (Cut, Peeled, and Diced)
-1 lb package of bacon
-2 Sticks of butter
-2 boxes chicken broth
-Garlic powder
-Salt/Pepper
-Whole Milk
-Cheese
-Chives
 
PREP1.) Boil peeled and diced potatoes with a little salt just until slightly tender.
2.)  Brown 2 pieces of bacon in soup pot until slightly cooked (not fully done).
3.) Add butter and let melt.
4.) Once butter is melted fully add potatoes.
5.) Pour Chicken Broth in pot, until potatoes are well covered.
6.) Add Garlic Powder, Salt and Pepper to taste.
7.) Let simmer for 10 mins or so.
8.) Add just enough whole milk to change soup to milk white color.
9.) Let simmer until potatoes are done.
10.) Now, here is where you can either let it simmer until it thickens a little (if you so wish) or add your instant potatoes to thicken it up.
11.) Garnish each bowl with homemade bacon bits, cheese, and chives!
 
 
 
 
HOMEMADE BACON BITS
 
-1lb Bacon
-1 Tablespoon Oil
PREP
1.) Heat Oil in pan.
2.) Dice Bacon strips into bite size pieces
3.) Add bacon pieces to oil in pan.
4.) Cook until all pieces are crispy done.
5.) Dry bacon pieces on paper towels.

 






No comments:

Post a Comment