Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Chicken Casserole

I haven't said a whole lot about it yet; but, I want to fill you in.  About two weeks ago the company my husband worked for went under. He worked for Hostess Brands here locally (Im positive you have seen this all over the news).  We were all a little unsure for a few days as to what the company and court would do. But, ultimately the court gave the company permission to liquidate the company's assets; and my husband is out of a job!  

The next few weeks, and months are going to be extremely difficult for our family; especially, with Christmas right here upon us.  I ask that you would please join us in praying for our family.  Asking God to provide above and beyond what we could ever imagine!  And, I know that He will! 

In the mean time, Im coming up with ways to be thrifty and ways to resue things!  No one in my house is huge fan of leftovers (I will eat them, and so will Harpy [BTW, this is Harper's new nickname for himself, he keeps calling himself "Harpy"] but Chris doesn't like them at all).  So, I am trying to repurpose our leftovers for different meals later in the week.  If you have ANY ideas of how to save money (please dont tell me to coupon!) feel free to comment! 

I have tried couponing and honestly, for the tings we buy, its cheaper for us to just buy the store brands.  In reality, the Wal-Mart and Target brands are just as good, if not better than the name brands!

Yesterday, I totally forgot to take something out for dinner.  So in the midst of the chaos I almost broke down and went to buy dinner.  But, instead, I took out chicken breasts (FYI: you can boil chicken straight out of the freezer and cook it in no time!) to make Chicken Casserole!  And, with my homemade Cream Soup mix it was the best it has ever been.

I found a recipe on pinterest for an S.O.S mix here is the link to the original recipe.  I made this recipe and used it a while back in chicken pot pie and I thought "darn, this is much better than canned cream of chicken soup!"  But I got to thinking, I wonder if I substitue a few things can I make something similar to cream of mushroom soup (something I use ALL THE TIME)!

I did tweak this recipe and to my surprise it was again, way better than canned cream of mushroom soup!  Its easy to mix together and so much cheaper than buying premade in the can!

You literally mix 1/3 cup mix with 1 1/4 cups cold water and whisk until mixed together.

 
Then you just cook it on the stove on medium-medium high heat until it thickens up.  Now, you will be stirring a lot and thinking goodness, is this ever going to thicken up...then, in an instant you have a thick creamy soup!
 
 
Now, to get the taste to the cream of mushroom taste...add two dollops sour cream and mix in well.  VOILA!  You have homemade cream of mushroom-like soup!
 
To make the Chicken Casserole I literally took my chicken straight from the freezer and threw it in a pot, covered it with water added a little S&P and garlic powder and boiled it until done.  After draining my chicken I shredded it up (actually I just cut it into small chunks!)! 
 
Once my soup mix and sauce was ready I just added my chicken, stirred well, poured it in a baking dish, topped with Town House Crackers and butter, and baked!! EASY!
 

 




Homemade Cream of Mushroom-like Soup Mix
-2 cups powdered non-fat dry milk
-3/4 cup Cornstarch
-1/4 beef bouillon
-2 tsp onion powder
-1 TBLSP Garlic powder
 
PREP
1.) Mix all ingredients in bowl
2.) Store in air tight container
WHEN READY TO MAKE SOUP
1.) Combine 1/3 cup dry mix with 1 1/4 cups cold water.
2.) Whisk until well mixed.
3.) Cook on stove on medium to medium-high heat until thickened.
4.) Add two dollops sour cream.
5.) Use in recipe or enjoy!

Chicken Casserole
-1 lb chicken breasts (or tenders)
-Garlic Powder
-S&P
-2 "Batches" Homemade Cream of Mushroom-Like Soup (2/3 Cup mix with 2 1/2 cups cold water) OR 2 cans Cream of Mushroom Soup
-Sour Cream
-Town House Crackers smashed
-1 Stick of Butter

PREP
1.) Place chicken in a pot and cover with water.
2.) Add a little S&P and Garlic Powder and boil until chicken is cooked thoroughly.
3.) Once chicken is cooked thoroughly drain and shred chicken.
4.) If you are using the Soup Mix prepare as previously stated. If using canned cream of mushroom soup thin soup with milk.
5.) Add 2 dollops of sour cream (if you use soup mix you will use a toal of 4 dollops).
6.) To your sauce mix add S&P and Garlic Powder to taste.
7.) Mix in shredded chicken and stir well.
8.) Pour mixture in a baking dish.
9.) Smash crackers in a zip lock bag.
10.) Place smashed crackers on top of casserole.
11.) Cut 1 stick of butter into small slices and place on top of crackers.
12.) Bake on 350 until crackers are slightly brown and casserole is bubbly.
13.) Let sit for a few mins and enjoy!!!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment