Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Rainy Tuesday

Well, you all know the weather has been absolutely FANTASTIC the last few days.  If you are unaware, then I will fill you in: we are experiencing Tropical Storm Debby!!!  I just love rainy days! (can you hear the sarcasm in my voice?!)


We have had an extreme amount of rain the last month or so here in our area.  Actually, we have had so much rain that my front ditch had standing water in it for the longest time (talk about stink!  and mosquito infestation!)! It finally dried up and guess whats back for a visit?!  You got it!  The standing mosquito infestation in the ditch!!!


Actually, to be exact, we had 2.5 inches of rain yesterday, and 3 inches already today (as of 3:30pm).  For a grand total of 5.5 inches of rain in less than 48 hours!!!  And its still going strong!  WOAH!!


I personally believe that rainy days call for something special...like SOUP!  I love soup...just not canned soup!  :)  I remembered at lunch time that I had some yummy rice left over from last nights dinner (I will post the recipe for this rice at the bottom of post). I kept thinking "what can I make with that rice" (I absolutely love rice or pasta of any sort!).  I decided to improvise some homemade chicken and rice soup...and wowee, it was superb!!

*I appologize now for lack of pictures....next time I will take LOTS of them!*

I grabbed a little left over chicken stock I had in the fridge and dumped it into a small pot.  I added some water and the rice I had left over to the liquid and started warming to a simmer on medium-low heat. 

Meanwhile, I thawed 2 frozen chicken tenderloins in a small pan with a tad olive oil.  Once they were thawed enough I added a little salt, pepper, and garlic powder to both sides of the chicken tenders, and cooked them until they were completely done.

Once the chicken was cooked through I cut the tenders into small bite size pieces and added to my simmering liquid.

To be 100% sure everything combined well I turned up the heat to medium/meduim-high and boiled for just a few minutes (4-7 mins maybe).

I let it cool off and ladel into my favorite bowl (ok, ok, it was actually a kiddie bowl...but worked GREAT!).  I also finished mine off with a little parsley (my grocery store carries freeze dried herbs, found usually in the produce section...a GREAT alternative to traditional dried herbs from the baking aisle.  They taste way better than regular dried herbs...almost as yummy as fresh....but they do NOT go bad like fresh herbs!)





Chicken ~n~ Rice Soup
-1 1/2 Cups Chicken Stock (I used leftover stock in a box)
-1/2 Cup water
-1 1/2 Cups Rice *already cooked* (Recipe below)
-2 Chicken Tenderloins
-Salt, Pepper, and Garlic Powder(to taste)
-2 Tbs Olive Oil
-Fresh Parsley to Finish (I used Freeze Dried Parsley)

1.) Combine Stock and water in small pot.
2.) Add Rice and bring to a simmer on medium-low heat.
3.) Cook chicken in oil, salt and pepper, and garlic powder.
4.) Once Chicken is cooked through dice chicken into bite size pieces and add to liquid.
5.) Turn up heat to medium/medium-high and bring to boil for 5-7 minutes.
6. Let cool and ladel into favorite bowl.
7.) Finish with Parsley.
!!!ENJOY!!!

*NOTE: This recipe made just enough for Harper and I with a little leftover...adjust quantities for larger crowds!*

 
Dinner Rice
-3 Cups Water
-1 1/2 Cups Rice
-1 Packet Lipton Onion Soup Mix

1.) Disolve onion soup mix in water in large enough pot.
2.) Bring to a boil on high heat.
3.) REDUCE HEAT!!!
4.) Add rice and stir to combine.
5.) Cover and SIMMER (VERY IMPORTANT TO ONLY SIMMER) for 20 mins or until rice is done.
6.) Fluff with fork and enjoy!

*This is a great rice recipe to enjoy with chicken, pork etc. in place of plain rice!*
*NOTE: DO NOT ADD ANY SALT TO WATER OR IT CAN TURN OUT TOO SALTY IN THE END*


Happy 'Mommying' :)

No comments:

Post a Comment